Saturday, January 16, 2010

My Favorite Albums of 2009

I usually don't talk music on here, but I figured since I'm working on my year-end review (to be posted at the ever-relevant time of January 25th) I would toss up 20 of my favorite albums I've heard this year.  My tastes aren't for everyone, but there's some good stuff in here, and I hope some of you will ask about them in the comments...I'll be more than willing to let you know which songs to sample. 

My choices after the jump...






As Tall As Lions - You Can't Take It With You
Download this track: Go Easy






Ben Kweller - Changing Horses
Download this track: Ballad of Wendy Baker





Brand New - Daisy
Download this track: Gasoline 



 


Cursive - Mama, I'm Swollen
Download this track: Caveman






The Dear Hunter - Act III: Life and Death 
Download this track: The Thief






Fake Problems - It's Great to Be Alive
 Download this track: Level With the Devil




 

Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest
Download this track: Southern Point




 

Karen O. And the Kids - All is Love 
Download this track: Worried Shoes 





 

Manchester Orchestra - Mean Everything to Nothing
Download this track: I Can Feel a Hot One 










Monsters of Folk - S/T
Download this track: Say Please






Owen - New Leaves
Download this track: A Trenchant Critique






Person L - The Positives
Download this track:  Changed Man






Portugal. The Man - The Satanic Satanist
Download this track: Mornings






Ramona Falls -  Intuit
Download this track: Melectric






Say Anything - S/T
Download this track: Less Cute






Stomacher -  Sentimental Education
Download this track: Any Joan a Lady






Thrice - Beggars
Download this track: The Weight






Thursday - Common Existence 
Download this track: Time's Arrow






William Elliott Whitmore - Animals in the Dark
Download this track: Old Devils






Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz!
Download this track: Skeletons 

3 comments

  1. I've not yet listened to all of my music from 2009 (still catching up, just like with the movies), but of what I have listened to, I'll agree on the Grizzly Bear and The Dear Hunter albums.

    Not so sure I can agree with the Cursive album...I mean, it's not bad, but it feels just a little too much of the same old thing from Kasher and didn't stand out to me.

    I'd be curious of the other albums you list which ones you specifically think I'd like (considering that for as much as our movie tastes are similar, our music tastes only occasionally intersect).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you'd like As Tall as Lions, Portugal. The Man, and the Thrice album. All three are just really good rock albums, albeit to varying degrees (for example Thrice is a more classic sounding rock than the other two, which are more a jazzy, ambient rock).

    Also, I'm surprised you don't have the Monsters of Folk album. It's a super group comprised of the two main dudes from Bright Eyes, M. Ward, and Jim James from My Morning Jacket. It's like the indie hipsters wet dream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay -- I'll check those out.

    I DO have the Monsters of Folk album sitting on my computer, I just haven't listened to it yet. We'll see how it turns out...

    ReplyDelete