Saturday, January 2, 2010

Happy New Year


This picture makes me happy as two of my favorite things, Keira Knightley and Ishiguro's novel Never Let Me Go, join forces in making sure I'll have at least one amazing filmgoing experience in 2010.  I'll be interested to see how this adaptation turns out, but I remember reading the novel a few years ago and thinking that Keira would be perfect as the opinionated Ruth.  Anyway...I'll have more to post on Monday, but you know, I can never get enough of Keira Knightley...so there ya go.  Happy New Year, everyone!

4 comments

  1. Happy New Years to you and yours Kevin!

    Well I must say that does look like a winning combination there, that's for sure! And with a voracious reader like yourself, there's always that literary anticipation year after year, as we had this past year with films based on novels, like THE ROAD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words, Sam. Happy New Year to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not to be negative, but for some reason I picture this becoming a generic thriller/mystery/twist kind of film. It could easily be made as the Sixth Sense of 2010. I doubt the elusive, enigmatic quality of Ishiguro's prose will survive the adaptation unless this has a particularly sensitive and sympathetic director.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ed:

    There's always that risk. I'm holding out hope that it will be more like The Remains of the Day (an Ishiguro adaptation they did turned out surprisingly good) and less like Atonement, which looked great, but failed to capture the nuances of Ian McEwan's writing.

    Anytime time an author like Ishiguro tackles a genre like science fiction there's always the risk of the adaptation being watered down for the masses.

    Still...it's Keira Knightley! Hehe.

    ReplyDelete