Thursday, October 31, 2013

Italian Horror Blogathon: Links (UPDATED 10/31)

black_sunday-la_maschera_del_demonio
Hello, all!

Use the comments section to link to your pieces. Keep checking this space for updates. I’ll keep this post on top throughout the blogathon for convenience; my daily posts will appear beneath the daily link update. I look forward to reading everyone’s entries! And remember, you have until Halloween night to contribute something.

UPDATE (4:45): I will be out of the house for most of the night (which means I'll be away from my computer), but continue sending those links if ya got 'em. I'll try to post them from my phone. There's still time! Thanks so much for the contributions, all!

Happy Halloween, everyone! Sadly, today is the last day of the blogathon. I'll be updating the links page throughout the day; I'll also be posting my contributions for today a little bit later. 


10/31:

- Simon sneaks one more review in...and it's an Umberto Lenzi TV movie, to boot. Consider me intrigued.

- Tim wraps up his contributions to this year's 'thon with a look at one of my personal favorites (obviously saving the best for last!).

- As I continue to read  Simon's blog, Creatures of Light and Darkness, I found more Italian horror related goodness that he covered in September.

- Goregirl covered her 10 favorite Lucio Fulci movies.

- Tim is back with his look at Lucio Fulci's A Lizard in a Woman's Skin.

- Simon finishes his three part look a greats and gems of Italian horror with a look at two of my favorites, Shock and The House by the Cemetery.

- James is back with a look Fulci's 8 1/2-esque A Cat in the Brain.

- Hans A., of the fantastic blog Quiet Cool, takes a look at  Lamberto Bava's oddball Deliria: Photos of Gioia.


10/30:

- Tim is back with his Masters of Italian Horror series, he's already done entries for Argento and Bava, this time looking at Riccardo Freda's The Horrible Secret of Dr. Hichcock.

- Simon continues his Halloween Hootenanny with part two in a series that looks at greats and gems of Italian horror, this time it's Lady Frankenstein and Baron Blood.

10/29: 

- Erich Kuersten, author of one my favorite daily stops Acidemic, chimes in with a look at one of my favorite Italian horror films, Michel Soavi's StageFright: Aquarius (aka Deliria).

- Tim returns with a review of the Mario Bava classic Black Sunday.

- Simon's Halloween Hootenanny continues with what looks to be the first in a series of posts covering Italian horror.

- And Dick returns with another review, this time with a look at the The Embalmer.


10/28:

- Aaron Fenwick, of the blog Tomorrow's Sound for Today's Swinging Generation, checks in with a review of one of Argentio's more popular efforts, Phenomena.

- Brennan, of the blog Popcorn Culture, offers up his first contribution to the blogathon with a look at Argento's first film, The Bird with the Crystal Plumage.

- Finally, James returns with two more capsule reviews. First, a surprisingly good Joe D'Amato film, and then he looks at one of my favorite so-bad-it's-good zombie movies.


10/27:

- James returns with a look at the disappointing Baby Yaga and the late-era Bava Lisa and the Devil/The House of Exorcism, covering both versions of the much maligned film extremely well.

- Neil Fulwood returns with a look at Massimo Dallamano’s What Have They Done to Your Daughters?; a sequel to the great giallo What Have You Done to Solange?


10/25:

- One of the things I love about hosting this blogathon every year is that it gives me a chance to be introduced to new blogs that I get to add to my daily reading list. Dick's The Oak Drive-In is just such a blog. His contribution is on 1971's Lady Frankenstein (which has one of my favorite posters with its line, "only the monster she made could satisfy her strange desires!").

- Neil Fulwood has always been a big supporter of this blogathon, and if you aren't reading his blog The Agitation of the Mind on a regular basis...well I just feel bad for you. Neil stops by this year with a look at Michel Soavi's Dellamorte Dellamore (aka Cemetery Man).

- Simon Wright returns with a look at Dario Argento's cut of Dawn of the Dead.


10/24:

- Stacia, of the great blog She Blogged By Night, has been a longtime supporter of this blogathon and has promised to do an entry on Umberto Lenzi's Orgasmo for two years running now. However, the fates conspired against her every time she'd tried to watch the film, but in year four she finally checks in with a fantastic essay on Lenzi's 1969 film. Thanks, Stacia!

- Lee, of the Hougly Film Journal, has been commenting around here for a couple of years, but now offers up his first contribution to the blogathon with a look at Argento's first film, The Bird with the Crystal Plumage.

- James, of The Cameraman's Revenge, was quite prolific during last year's blogathon, and he's off and running once again this year with a look at the film that started it all, I Vampiri, and the film that is considered one of Bava's least interesting efforts (although he makes a case for it), Baron Blood.

- Peter, who authors one of my very favorite blogs Coffee, Coffee, and More Coffee, has contributed from the onset of this humble project. And this year, he doesn't disappoint with a look at the 1971 giallo Slaughter Hotel...wait, you're telling me there's a giallo starring Klaus Kinski! I'm there.

- How fortuitous, Tim, proprietor of my favorite blog on the interwebs, Antagony & Ecstasy, has a review of Dario Argento's Dracula 3D, which was recently screened at the Chicago International Film Festival (which Tim has been reporting on here) and conveniently coincides with the first day of this-here blogathon.

- Simon Wright, author of the blog Creatures of Light and Darkness, checks in with a look at two of my favorite zombie movies: Burial Ground (aka The Nights of Terror) and Cemetery Man; the former because it's so wacky, and the latter because it's just really damn nice to look at. He also checked out a few Italian horror flicks prior to the blogathon, so explore Simon's blog and check those out.

47 comments

  1. I'll jump right in if no one else minds...

    http://james1511.wordpress.com/2013/10/24/i-vampiri-1957/
    http://james1511.wordpress.com/2013/10/24/baron-blood-1972/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kevin,

    Here's my first entry for the 'thon:

    http://creatures-of-light-and-darkness.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/halloween-hootenannyitalian-horror.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Simon! I'll check that out in a bit. Links have been updated with your entry.

      Delete
    2. Cheers Kevin, and thanks for linking to my other Italian horror posts from earlier this week as well :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Kevin. Good to see the blogathon under way. Some great pieces so far. Simon's got the jump on me with this one, but here's my take on 'Dellamorte Dellamore':
    http://misterneil.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/italian-horror-blogathon-dellamorte.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Neil! Links have been updated. I'll be checking in on your post once I get some coffee in me.

      Delete
  4. Hi Kevin;
    Here' mine. Happy to be participating this year - and thanks for hosting this. I've always enjoyed reading the past years blogathons.

    Dick

    http://theoakdrivein.blogspot.com/2013/10/rosalba-neri-friday-halloween-special.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for participating this year, Dick! Links have been updated.

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad you got the link! The whole town's internet went down (I'm serious, every year at this time it's just catastrophe, I swear) so the post went up since it was scheduled ahead of time, but I wasn't able to comment over here until now. Thanks so much for hosting the 'thon! Can't wait to read everyone's submissions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stacia! I always appreciate your support for this.

      Delete
  6. This isn't an Italian horror film in the pure sense of the term but I decided to have a look at Argento's cut of Dawn of the Dead for today's post anyway.... it's perhaps only relevant to this blogathon in a relatively tenuous sense, but considering its influence I thought it'd be worth a look:

    http://creatures-of-light-and-darkness.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/halloween-hootenannyitalian-horror_25.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some more from me:

    http://james1511.wordpress.com/2013/10/25/lisa-and-the-devilthe-house-of-exorcism-197374/

    and

    http://james1511.wordpress.com/2013/10/28/baba-yaga-1973/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here's a second contribution:
    http://misterneil.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/italian-horror-blogathon-what-have-they.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Links have been updated, all. Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Kevin
    Here's one from the Southern Hemisphere ;) http://tomorrowssound.blogspot.com.au/2013/10/blogathon-argentos-greatest-hits.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Two more from me:

    http://james1511.wordpress.com/2013/10/28/death-smiles-at-murder-1973/

    http://james1511.wordpress.com/2013/10/28/burial-ground-the-nigths-of-terror-1981/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome. Thanks so much James. I really appreciate your enthusiasm for this project! I can't wait to read your entry on Burial Ground.

      Delete
  12. I'm so excited, this is my first time! Thank you for doing this again.

    Here is my entry about The Bird with the Crystal Plumage.

    http://jiffypopculture.blogspot.com/2013/10/italian-horror-blogathon-bird-of-prey.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brennan, thank for joining in! I look forward to reading your entry.

      Delete
  13. http://acidemic.blogspot.com/2013/10/italian-horror-blogathon-stagefright.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh. This is one I'm definitely excited to read. Thanks so much for contributing, Erich!

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Yes! I was hoping you would be doing this one. I had an inkling when you suggested you were going a bit mainstream. Can't wait to read this, Tim!

      Delete
  15. Tim and Erich:

    Apologies in advance for not updating the links right away. I'll be away from my computer for the next few hours, and I dare not try to edit the links page on my phone. I'll update later tonight or put the entries front and center in tomorrow's update. Sorry for the delay.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Kevin,

    Here's another one of mine. Thanks ! - I've really enjoyed the posts and have discovered some great new (to me) blogs.

    http://theoakdrivein.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-embalmer-aka-monster-of-venice-il.html

    Dick

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, we're still a few days off Halloween yet and I think I've already got my reading list sorted for pretty much the next week... I really can't wait to read all of these entries when time permits... everything I've checked out so far has been stellar.

    Here's my contribution for today, and it's the first piece of a three-parter: http://creatures-of-light-and-darkness.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/halloween-hootenannyitalian-horror_28.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Here's the second part of my moviethon write-up: http://creatures-of-light-and-darkness.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/halloween-hootenannyitalian-horror_29.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Simon! I've been lovin' this series of posts from you. Links have been updated.

      Delete
    2. Cheers :) I've thoroughly enjoyed taking part again this year and will be sad to see October come to an end.

      Delete
  19. Replies
    1. Thank you, sir. Looking forward to your next contribution (although I'm waaaay behind on reading all of these, hehe). I'm not as busy with work today as I have been other days this week, so I will be able to continue to update the links throughout the day, making sure your link doesn't left here in the comments.

      Delete
  20. Hey Kevin,

    Here's my contribution. I wished I could have contributed more. Happy Halloween!

    http://thisisquietcool.blogspot.com/2013/10/le-foto-di-gioia-1987.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hans! Glad you contributed this year! I look forward to reading this.

      Delete
  21. Here's the third and final part of my moviethon musings, and alas probably also my last contribution to this year's blogathon: http://creatures-of-light-and-darkness.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/halloween-hootenannyitalian-horror_30.html

    Many thanks again for taking the time to host this and collate all of the links :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your enthusiasm for this blogathon has been inspiring. Thank you, sir.

      Delete
    2. Cheers, it's been my pleasure to tag along :) Happy Halloween!

      Delete
  22. One final one from me as well:

    http://james1511.wordpress.com/2013/10/31/cat-in-the-brain-1990/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, James. Once again, I appreciate your support for this blogathon and for the multiple contributions. I look forward to reading this one...it's a strange movie, indeed.

      Delete
  23. Replies
    1. You magnificent bastard! I've been waiting for you to review this for three years now! Hehe. Looking forward to reading it later tonight.

      Delete
  24. Sorry this is somewhat at the 11th hour, but here's one last quick, impromptu post for a movie that I literally just bought and watched today: http://creatures-of-light-and-darkness.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/halloween-hootenannyitalian-horror_31.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Simon. Links have been updated.

      Delete
    2. Thanks again for organising this, am eagerly anticipating next year's 'thon already. And thanks for linking to the Italian horror stuff I posted in September, 'tis much appreciated :)

      Delete