Monday, May 12, 2008

Meme means breast in Turkish?


Well according to Cerebral Mastication's Ali Arikan, who tagged me for this particular meme, it does. No I am not going to be writing about breasts or Turkish breasts for that matter, but here all the simple rules of this particular meme:

1) Pick up the nearest book.
2) Open to page 123.
3) Locate the fifth sentence.
4) Post the next three sentences on your blog and in so doing…
5) Tag five people, and acknowledge who tagged you.

So there ya have it. The book I have next to me at the moment is John Banville's The Book of Evidence which was shortlisted for the Booker Prize in 1989. If you've seen the hilarious French faux-doc "Man Bites Dog", then you can get a good idea of what this novel is about and how it treats its main character, Freddie Montgomery, a man who kills because...well...he can. I wasn't too hot on this book when I started it, but it has really started to grow on me. Here Freddie is explaining the questioning process:

I am merely another name on a list. They are mild, soft-spoken, stolidly deferential, a little bored. I respond to their questions politely, with a certain irony, smiling, lifting an eyebrow -- It is, I tell myself smugly, the performance of my life, a masterpiece of dissembling.

Thanks for the tag Ali...and for the rest of you...tag you're it (okay that was too easy):

Troy Olson's Elusive as Robert Denby
Larry Linebaugh's To Infinity and Beyond
Kennettron 5000
Phillip Kelly's Phil-Zine
Mr. Holman's True Life: I'm a New Yorker?

2 comments

  1. What's the deal with stealing my blogger fool? That is just going too far! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Close. There's two L's in Phillip.

    ReplyDelete